What do loafers go with?
Pairing loafers to an outfit is generally very simple. But sometimes people make the simplest things look so difficult. The key to styling these shoes is thinking simplistically. Here are a few suggestions on how to work these wardrobe classics into your everyday look:
- For the love of denim: Two timeless staples, one flattering outfit. Loafers are made for denim, and they look even better when they are paired with boyfriend jeans. The slight chunkiness of the loafer paired with the relaxed vibes of the jeans work excellently. Throw in an oversize sweater and a cosy tee and your casual day outfit is complete.
- Skirts that work: For some it might be a little bit of a challenge to pull this look off, but as long as you stick to proportion you’ll be fine. To rock this look, you need a skirt length that’s above the knee. We’d recommend trying a pencil or an A-line skirt. If you feel a little more daring, try a mini skirt! Stick to classic patterns like herringbone and plaid and throw in a turtle neck for a smart preppy look.
- Combining with a dress: If you’re looking to wear them with a dress, keeping classic vibes is important. And what better dress to wear than the timeless LBD. Wearing a black dress gives you the creative freedom to experiment with your shoes. Go for details such as embellishments, glitter, fringe details and add personality to your outfit. Pointed toe loafers are perfect for this look.
Loafers with socks: Yes? Or no?
A popular question when it comes to styling loafers: should you wear them with socks, or without? Well, the first thing you should always consider is the weather. If it’s 2 degrees outside, going bare sock isn’t going to be warm nor comfortable but if you’re in mid-summer or on holiday, then it can really help ventilate your feet. So, which is best?
- Team socks: Our best advice – give invisible socks a try. They are made to be worn with this footwear, so that they sit nicely inside the shoe, without showing the sock from the outside. Visually they look great and they also keep your toes nice and toasty.
- Team no socks: Let’s be honest, it’s a bit of a bold move! Keeping your trousers fitted around the ankle is important in maximising this style. Wearing skinny jeans or teaming your loafers with your favourite sun dress will create the bang you desire, especially in the summer months.
How to clean loafers
Like most shoes, loafers need a bit of looking after when you’re wearing them all the time, especially if you wear them without socks! Cleaning your shoes depends on the material. Leather loafers can be cleaned with a bristled brush. This keeps them looking shiny and new, buffing away any unusual marks. If they’re muddy, let the dirt dry and simply brush away in a circular motion. Suede loafers require protector spray which significantly increase their life duration. Again, for dirt, brush slowly in a circular motion. For the inside, give them a quick wipe with an antibacterial towel and leave to dry. For a thorough clean, mix a teaspoon of vinegar with water and use a sponge to scrub the inside. Add a sprinkle of baking soda to reduce the resulting odours.
When to replace loafers
"Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to bid a fond farewell to… our shoes." It’s truly a sad occasion when you have to leave your shoes behind. Here are a couple of indicators that it's time to replace your trusted companions:
- Stiff leather: If not cleaned, polished or conditioned correctly, leather can harden. This can cause them to crack (especially cheap loafers) and well… look like they’re shedding a new skin… totally unacceptable!
- Damaged toe box: Like cardboard, if you kick and scuff the tip of the shoes, they will wear down a lot to show their scruffy interior. If they’re totally scuffed, they’ll cost less to replace than fix.
- Sole loses its tread: The common sign of any shoe is the loss of grip on the sidewalk. If the tread is bare, then it's time to say goodbye. Trust us, your unscathed body will thank you!
Where to shop stylish loafers for women online
You’ve got the know-how, now you need to know where you can express your shoe love to your heart's content. You can find a wide selection of women’s loafers at unbeatable prices in our online store. Need an outfit to match? We have tons of new lines, from tops and accessories to summer dresses and skirts – at the click of a button, on Lesara!