How to wear high top trainers
How you choose to wear high-tops depends on the style of the shoe. As a general guideline, we'll discuss two common styles: thin and chunky.
Usually made of a canvas fabric, thin high tops are generally tied closer to the leg. These styles can sometimes give the illusion that you have a smaller, more awkward ankle. Take these measures when styling with slim fitting clothes:
- Avoid very skinny jeans: Wearing skinny jeans with this style visually slims the legs. If you are particularly skinny, it makes your body look disproportionate.
- Wider-legged or slightly baggier trousers work better: They add a balance to your silhouette and look especially good when rolled up for an 80’s vintage vibe
- If you are wearing tighter fitting jeans, don't be scared to show a little bit of skin at the ankle: Cropped lengths are totally trending right now. Whatever shoe you go for, add a pair of cropped jeans or leggings to the look and your street cred will improve drastically.
- Floral dresses are the perfect complement to leather high tops: Because of the sporty aesthetics of the shoe, dainty prints add a balance with their femininity, creating a well-balanced look.
Thicker trainers look perfect with tighter styles. Here are a few tips on how to make the look work:
- Go for more padding and tie the shoe a little looser: Looser fittings really make the shoe stand out when combined with slimmer garments. Wear an oversize top to give your look a balance.
- Skinny jeans, leggings or leather pants look great, especially if the shoes are bright: Skinny styles take the chunky shoe style quotient to the next level and trust us - it looks so cool!
- Mini skirts and short dresses look so stylish: Pairing mini length with chunky high tops are a great option if you are spending a night out with friends. They provide comfort and add a touch of sassiness to your look.
How to style high top trainers
Okay, now that you have an idea of how to wear high tops, you need to understand what types of clothing work best. Below we'll take you through the basics:
- Start with retro: If you are a first time buyer of high top trainers, then the best way to start off your collection is with a pair of classic retro trainers. What works best with them, you ask? Cropped denim jeans and a cotton boyfriend shirt. Strong Velcro straps add retro vibes to these classic trainers. Pair them with an A-line skirt for a striking contrast.
- Wedges add confidence: Hidden platforms in wedge trainers give you a boost without compromising on comfort. They look so fashionable when paired with an oversize sweatshirt or longline tee. Complete the look with a pair of tights and you have a snazzy outfit.
- Add a little sparkle: Sequins add a touch of glamour to the sportiness of the shoe. When paired with leggings and a denim shirt, they can really brighten up your day! If you consider yourself a punk rocker, adding a pair of black high tops with sequin details to a band tee and frayed skirt will give you the glam rock vibes you crave.
- Sportswear always works: High tops were born for sports. So, if your heading to the gym, comfort and functionality should be your main priorities. Pair white high tops with a simple pair of leggings and an athletic top for a practical, minimalist sporty look. And best of all, it can easily transition into an outfit for the next part of your day – just throw in a leather jacket and you're good to go!
Did you know?
The ankle length design wasn't created to protect the wearer's ankle. During the early 19th century, they were designed in this way to replicate the ankle boots that were popular at the time. Even today, there is a debate on whether ankle length styles really protect from rolling the foot. In sports, basketball players wear both low top and high top designs, depending on their preference.
Where to buy women's high tops online
Whether you’re doing errands on a Saturday morning or headed out for a fun night with friends, high top sneakers are the perfect finishing touch to your casual look. Find this must-have shoe in a host of stylish designs, from retro classics to modern platforms and wedge styles. These classic kicks need a cool outfit to match. Browse our latest urban wear with exceptional offers on hoodies, joggers, tops and much, much more on Lesara!